rubya

Hearts Aflame
Johanna Lindsey
Outliers: The Story of Success By Malcolm Gladwell
Brown and Company- -Little
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert
John M. Gottman, Nan Silver
The Kite Runner: Graphic Novel
Khaled Hosseini, Fabio Celoni, Mirka Andolfo
The Mill on the Floss
George Eliot
Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen

Skinny Bitch

Skinny Bitch - Rory Freedman, Kim Barnouin This book was generally a load of crap. I feel absolutely cheated in reading this book.I thought that this book was going to be a means of feeling empowered about food and body image. I thought it was going to be a guide to eating like all those "skinny bitches" many of us females see out there all the time. You know, the ones who pick listlessly at their grilled salmon and mixed greens while we chomp voraciously into our hamburgers? I wanted an insight into the way in which "skinny bitches" lead their lives and approach food, diet and exercise, since I think being skinny is more about mindset and behavior than necessarily about calorie intake or fat grams. Instead, I got a 198 page rant, the main tagline of which was "Go Vegan, or else you will be fat and unhealthy forever." What utter tripe. I think the girls brought up some interesting (and horrifying) points about the meat packing industry and the danger of processed foods that many people consume on a daily basis, but I think it is manipulative (and ridiculous) to push the idea that the sole means of becoming healthy is by becoming vegan. Furthermore, the girls barely discuss exercise and other means of getting healthy and their "motivational" language was insulting in the extreme. The idea of becoming a "skinny bitch" and adopting an in your face tone is one thing, but it is quite another to call you reader a "fat pig." Who do they think they are?These girls come across as vapid, "Hollywood" dumb bitches who toss around some wikipedia level research in an attempt to push their ideas on the reader and adopt a superior, self righteous, holier than thou tone throughout. Only in the last pages do these authors try to whitewash their message with "love yourself" and "care about yourself" but at that point it's too late for me to feel anything but disgust with these stupid girls.